CCPR 6772 UPDATE ( bbftp problems)

Here is an update to the help request you submitted.
When you reply to THIS message, Please DO NOT include the original text below.

Mod Date:   2001/02/26
Mod Time:   10:35:46
Mod User:   kowalski
Current State:   WORKING
STATE changed from (RECEIVED) to WORKING.
Change of state.  Waiting to hear from ESNet.

Here is a copy of your Original Request:

Email:    ggilfoyl@richmond.edu
Name:
Username:
Staff:	  kowalski
Platform:
Building:
Room:
Hostname:
Category: NETWORK PROBLEM
Subject:   bbftp problems

Request:
Hi,

    I have been trying to transfer files from JLab to the University
 of Richmond during the last couple of days and failing. The
 problem is the following.

 1. I am using bbftp to transfer files from the CLAS work disk at
 /work/clas/disk3/gilfoyle to Richmond.

 2. I can transfer small files without difficulty.

 3. When i try to transfer large DST files (actually only about
 78 MBytes per file) the connection times out and I get stuff like
 the following.

 psc1:data> bbftp -u gilfoyle -i bbftpctrl bbftp.jlab.org
 Password (max length = 8192):
 Starting under pid 26401 on Fri Feb 23 09:05:18
 >> USERNAME gilfoyle PASS
 << bbftpd version 1.9.1 : OK
 >> COMMAND : cd /work/clas/disk3/gilfoyle/
 << OK : Current remote directory is /w/work610/gilfoyle
 >> COMMAND : get run17469.a00prod19.rzn
 Child 026402 : Error while receiving : Time Out
 << Connection timed out
 Retrying transfer waiting 60 s
 >> COMMAND : get run17469.a00prod19.rzn
 Child 026403 : Error while receiving : Time Out
 Read message : Time out : MSG (20,0)Error reading BAD message after send
 waitcontrol
 Retrying connection waiting 60 s
 Cannot connect to control socket: No route to host
 Retrying connection waiting 60 s
 >> USERNAME gilfoyle PASS
 << bbftpd version 1.9.1 : OK
 >> COMMAND : cd /w/work610/gilfoyle
 << OK : Current remote directory is /w/work610/gilfoyle
 >> COMMAND : get run17469.a00prod19.rzn
 Child 026406 : Error while receiving : Time Out
 Read message : Time out : MSG (20,0)Error reading BAD message after send
 waitcontrol
 Retrying connection waiting 60 s
 Cannot connect to control socket: No route to host
 Retrying connection waiting 60 s

 The bbftp control file I was using is below.

 psc1:data> more bbftpctrl
 cd /work/clas/disk3/gilfoyle/
 get run17469.a00prod19.rzn
 get run17469.a01prod19.rzn
 get run17469.a02prod19.rzn
 get run17469.a03prod19.rzn
 get run17469.a04prod19.rzn
 get run17469.a05prod19.rzn
 get run17469.a06prod19.rzn
 get run17469.a07prod19.rzn
 get run17469.a08prod19.rzn
 get run17469.a10prod19.rzn

 4. This occurs even when I try data transfers late at night (around
 11:30 pm)

 5. I tried registering this problem with CCPR and I get a message
 'Unable to locate the server mis.jlab.org'.

 Thanks-in-advance for your help.

 Cheers,

 Jerry Gilfoyle

 --