Re: NSF grant

Hi Lindsay,

   My responses are below.

Lindsay Sterling wrote:

> Hi Dr. Gilfoyle,
>
> Thanks for your response. I am at work now, and I can't call from here,
> so I figured I'd send you the questions by e-mail, just in case I am not
> able to get in touch with you before you leave tonight.  I usually get
> home at 5:30, so that might be cutting it close.  If you'd rather not
> have to type your responses, however, I'll still call you once I get
> home. Thanks for your help!
>
> 1. What is the need for the computers? What will they be used for?

Some of our research in physics is in nuclear physics; understanding
the nature of matter at its most fundamental level. The data
collection is actually done at a major national lab called Jefferson
Lab (or JLab for short) in Newport News, Virginia. We use a large
accelerator (about one mile around) and detection system (it weighs
about 40 tons) as a very, very high-powered electron microscope to
illuminate the interior structure of the proton and atomic nuclei. The
detector at JLab collects data at a phenomenal rate; equivalent to
reading War and Peace several times a second. These data are then
distributed and analyzed at colleges and universities around the
country and around the world. We need the computers because we have
to process huge amounts of data very quickly. The new supercomputing
cluster will help us do that. We also have to make complex calculations
to understand and interpret the results of our data analysis and the
cluster will be used for that task too. Simply put, research at the
frontiers of physics requires sifting through huge amounts of data
to reveal the underlying structure of the Universe. The supercomputing
cluster enable us to do that sifting before I reach retirement age.

> 2. Where will they be located? Who will use them?

The machines will be located on campus in the Physics Department
research labs. Several faculty will use them and, more importantly,
our students like Adam Weaver RC '04 and others will use them in their
own research projects.

> 3. The University press release said that the NSF requires that the
> University provide some matching funds.  What does this mean? Do you
> know how much will the University have to pay and where the money comes
> from?

This is common. The federal funding agencies often require the
universities to contribute money and other support to the research
projects. In this way, your taxpayers dollars go further, the
universities get the help they need, and everyone is more careful
in allocating money. The Physics supercomputing cluster will cost
about $175,000. Most (about $153,000) is coming from NSF and the
remainder (about $22,000) is contributed by the University,

> 4. When will you get the equipment and have it set up for use?

We have just sent out the order and hope to have it up and running in
the spring.