software upgrade for the cluster

hi sasko,

   here is a plan of upgrading the cluster.

1. you back up the current system using the dlt tape drive. if
IS has a tape, i think we can borrow one for now. we'll order some
tapes and pay for them from the grant. i will be in thursday and
send you the account number. if you need the account number before
then, let me know and i can have janice dig it up.

2. after backing up, we need to coordinate the upgrade with
linux labs. i will get in touch with steven james and set up
a time for him to upgrade to the nimbus software. i would like
to avoid upgrading to RH 7.2 until just before steven james
does his part. that way we can minimize the time the cluster is
down (i'm still using it for 'small' jobs). below is the message
that he sent about how to upgrade.

let me know what you think.

jerry

Steven James message:

Greetings,

I pulled up records, and I think there may be some confusion. You are
not
required to pay $5000 for a Nimbus upgrade. As you are still within your
support time, the upgrade is free. The price given to Mike was for a new
install on a new cluster.

The procedure would be for someone on your side to make backups and
install RedHat 7.2 with specified options on the master, and make it
available on the net. I will transfer the RPMs for the Nimbus system
over,
and perform the installation and configuration.

You still have the option of a re-compile of your current kernel with
the
process limit increased if you prefer. IMHO, you will like the new
features of Nimbus (that would, of course, have nothing to do with the
fact that I built Nimbus :-)

G'day,
sjames

--