psc cluster

Gerry,

I logged onto psc1 okay.

1) However I will need an account
   on all the other nodes as well unless we go for item 5.
   The reason I need a personal
   account is that I like to slogin in as myself, and then invoke
   "su".  This way all the "su" connections are "secure".

2) secure shell is not running on the other nodes (psc2 at least).
   I'll install it on all nodes once I am set up.

3) I do not see the need for /data and /home on psc2->pscn  since the
   home disk will be served from psc1.  So I would rename the /home
   parition to something like /scratch.  This way you'll have 13Gig
   for data (semi permanant) and 13 gig for scratch (temporary).

4) I again recommend using the automount deamon (which is already running
   on psc1) as opposed to having all those volumes permanently nfs
   mounted.  Again I'll do this as well but not until I can get access
   to the whole cluster.

5) This is just the first pass, I am rethinking doing ALL this remotely and
   think that the initial setup/reconfiguration would go faster/easier
   if I was up at UR....we (as a family) were thinking of making a road
   trip to richmond to see the Egypt show at the Art Museum..depending when
   tickets are available...I'll get back to you on this...but sitting on
   the machines I could get a lot done in several hours....instead of
   running into walls...(and the family can go to the museum while I work
   not exactly as we originally were planning....)

more later...

Arne

--
Arne Freyberger
JLAB (Mail Stop 12H)    Phone: (757) 269-6268