Matching funds for DOE grant

Hi Herb,

As we discussed in our phone conversation, the renewal of our US Department of Energy grant was approved, but we did not get additional funds ($75,000) that we requested for a computer cluster to support our research at Jefferson Lab. However, we did get permission from DOE to use funds (about $30,000) that we have left over in our current funding period budget toward the purchase of the computer cluster. We are requesting matching funds from the University for the computer cluster. We believe this is a reasonable request considering that this grant has brought in over $250,000 in indirect costs over the last 11 years, and will bring in another $66,240 in the next 3 years. The computer cluster and the work we do using it will constitute our service contribution to the CLAS Collaboration in Hall B at Jefferson Lab. Our participation in this collaboration has been an important factor in our ability to maintain this research grant. The computer cluster will also provide modern technology training for our students and make us competitive with our collaborators at places like ODU and UVa.

We have sent more detailed information about this to you in the mail.

Thanks for working with us on this.

Mike Vineyard
Jerry Gilfoyle

--
Michael F. Vineyard                     Phone: (804) 289-8257
Department of Physics                   Fax: (804) 289-8482