indirect costs from grants

I've received Jim's endorsement of your need for $45,000 to build a
computer-cluster in relation to your grant-supported research.  It is very
helpful.  Now I want to argue with Herb that ALL the money you need should
come from overhead/indirect costs gained from your grants.  Could you
please provide me information about all the indirect costs (income)
received by the University as a result of your grants since 1989?  (I
choose 1989 because it's 10 years ago--a nice round number--and it was my
first year here.)  I would also appreciate receiving a talley of the amount
of specially allotted money that the University has provided (as matching
money or otherwise) in support of your grants or research over the past 10
years.  I am NOT referring to regular budgetary resources, program
improvement items, or anything that I (A&S) might have provided in support
of your grants or research.  I mean: What has Herb (or Lou) provided of an
unusual nature, as special additional support.  In sum, I want to remind
Herb about the net income that the Univesity has received as a result of
your own initiatives.  The sooner you can get these figures to me the
better; I'll pursue this matter right away.  Is there any deadline by which
this matter needs to be resolved?  David

David E. Leary
Dean of Arts and Sciences
University of Richmond
Richmond, VA  23173