Re: richmond cluster

Jerry,

We buy the machines in standard mid-tower cases and we just put 9 in
each of our 24" racks.  Our racks have forced cooling - you need to be
careful about that as these things generate some heat.  We have not
worried about physically overloading the racks.  We never convinced
ourselves that the premium for rack mountable units was worth it (and we
have 24" rather than 19" racks anyway).  We do put the console switches
in the racks too.

Ian

gilfoyle wrote:

> hi ian,
>
>    i have a small question about our cluster. it turns out we
> are going to order 12 boxes with two processors each. how do
> you mount them at the lab? we're considering getting the
> rackmountable cabinets and two racks to hold them. do you have
> any experience/advise for mounting the machines? should we
> worry about overloading the racks? do you mount switches and
> back-up power supplies in the racks also?
>
> thanks-in-advance,
>
> jerry
>
> --
> Dr. Gerard P. Gilfoyle
> Physics Department                e-mail: ggilfoyl@richmond.edu
> University of Richmond, VA 23173  phone:  804-289-8255
> USA                               fax:    804-289-8482
begin:vcard
n:Bird;Ian
tel;fax:757-269-6248
tel;work:757-269-7514
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility
version:2.1
email;internet:Ian.Bird@jlab.org
title:Head - Computer Center
adr;quoted-printable:;;12000 Jefferson Avenue=0D=0AMS16A;Newport News;VA;23606;USA
fn:Ian Bird
end:vcard